Two people succumbed to food poisoning on Saturday in Iltepes, Baringo South, while fifteen others are still admitted in hospital after they consumed githeri suspected to have been poisoned.
Confirming the incident health CEC in Baringo County, Mary Panga said, “the remaining patients are still receiving treatment and they are in a stable condition.”
She added that results from the samples which were taken to Government laboratory were yet to be out.
Preliminary reports had indicated that the poisoning might have been from aflatoxin in the Githeri they consumed.
The county commissioner Henry Wafula assured that anyone who will be found behind the poisoning will not escape the long arm of the law.
The victims were farmers, who were tilling a private land in Elchamus Ward in Baringo South.
Seven of the patients, who were critically ill, were taken to Kabarnet County Referral Hospital on Friday afternoon.
The other seven, who had less severe symptoms, were taken to Marigat Hospital, Opera News understands.
Passersby, who were heading to unspecified destinations at 11 am Friday, found the victims writhing in pain on the farm as they clutched their stomachs.
“Some were vomiting, others had severe diarrhoea,” a witness said.
“Sensing that the victims could lose their lives if urgent help did not come their way, we stopped a Red Cross van that was heading to other parts of Baringo to help flood victims,” said the informant.
The Red Cross vehicle took the 14 to the different hospitals.