Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi is set to be charged in court- after the treatment and quarantine period elapse-for opposing a government directive and as a public servant to self-quarantine after he returned to the country from Germany.
The government had earlier ordered that any person entering the country from a destination with confirmed cases of coronavirus should proceed on self-quarantine.
The Health CS Mutahi Kagwe directed public servants to follow the directives as possible while confirming that the Deputy governor had tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
Tracing Kilifi Deputy Governor Movements,
Saburi is said to have traveled to Germany mid-February and jetted back March 6, 2020, via Amsterdam.
On March 7, the deputy governor met a group of Rabai MCAs at Royal Hotel in Mazeras for preparations of the International Women’s Day function in Rabai.
He had breakfast with the MCAs before proceeding for the burial of the late former Deputy Governor Kenneth Kamto’s bodyguard.
On his trip to the burial, Mr Saburi was accompanied by Rabai MP William Kamoti and afterward, they returned to the Royal Hotel in Mazeras.
He is said to have attended three other burials and two weddings in between.
On March 18, he is said to have accompanied his driver to a place called Karama Mbuzi in Majengo area of Mombasa where they had a sumptuous meal of Ugali and mshkaki (roast meat on a stick).
The following day on March 19, he was spotted in a night club in Bamburi where he mingled with several revelers.
On Friday of March 20, again, alongside his driver, they took refreshments at Cafesserie-Mombasa within Nyali center where he also mingled with several revelers for several hours before he left for his house in Bamburi.
It would, however, emerge that Saburi ignored the precautionary measure and went ahead to attend several weddings, funerals county meetings and attending the international women’s’ day in Rabai. The deputy governor is also understood to have mingled with county staff in complete disregard of the government directive aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus.
In a press briefing on Sunday, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe indicated that the deputy governor has already been placed under forced quarantine, and would be arraigned after the 14-day quarantine period.
He noted that the National Emergency Response Committee has decided that all persons who violate the self-quarantine requirement will be forcefully quarantined for a full period of 14 days at their cost, and thereafter arrested and charged under the Public Health Act.
Leaked WhatsApp Messages
Leaked WhatsApp messages between Kilifi county speaker Jimmy Kahindi, and other officials in the county that insisted the deputy governor Gideon Saburi to quarantine were in vain as he continued to mingle. And now, soon after the quarantine period, the Deputy Governor might be impeached.
Kilifi governor warned his deputy against self-quarantine directive but he ignored saying he was tested three times at Mombasa hospital.
Governor Amason Kingi dispatched health officers to track down people who came into contact with his deputy.
“The emergency response teams have already been deployed across the county to trace these people,” he said.
Governor Kingi disclosed that despite testing negative, he started self-isolation on Thursday last week as a precautionary measure.
“Let me emphasize that we must all strictly observe safety measures earlier communicated by both the national and county governments. We shall be reviewing these advisories as the situation dictates.”
Last Wednesday, Mr Kingi held a Cabinet meeting where Sh73 million was allocated to help fight the coronavirus. The governor also announced that his administration will distribute free hand sanitizers at all bus stops and markets.
At the same time, the governor banned the operation of bars and nightclubs and weddings for the next 30 days; only immediate family members will be allowed to attend funerals, and contributions should be made via mobile-money services.