Police in Nyamira have suddenly dismissed reports doing rounds on social media that they have granted the Deputy President William Ruto permission to go ahead with two fundraisers scheduled for Thursday.
The letters addressed to the hosting MPs Shadrack Mose of Kitutu Masaba and Vincent Kemosi of West Mugirango gave them greenlight to go ahead with rallies that were cancelled last week.
The letters have now been disowned by respective police commanders in Nyamira who have been termed ‘criminal propagations’ on social media.
Nyamira OCS Mohammed Sassura said they are not aware of such a letter but they will give official communication once they get it but they didn’t know its source.
“We are also seeing the letter and we do not know where it is from.We will give you official communication over the matter”, Sassura, told the Star on the phone.
The other event to be held in Kitutu Masaba is still hanging on the balance after Masaba North Ward Police Commander Elam Esendi said the process of granting permission was still ongoing but he will communicate in good time.
“The letter on social media is from an unknown source and it should be known that we follow a chain of command and we cannot preempt the process. The events are for the office of the President and it has to be approved through the chains of command. Communication will be issued once it is passed through the procedures.” Esendi said.
Al the two letters were dated October 13 with reference numbers; National Police Service letterheads and rubber stamps accompanied with ‘signatures’ of the respective Ward Commanders.
County Commissioner Amos Mariba said he has launched investigations to establish the authors of the two letters.
The two Ruto events were cancelled on Thursday last week after the County Commissioner termed them illegal and that the organisers did not comply with the Covid-19 health protocols and the newly formulated National Security Council Advisory on public order.