Felicien Kabuga, suspected of having helped to finance the 1994 Rwandan genocide, has been moved from France to The Hague to stand trial on charges of genocide.
“His initial appearance will be held in due course before a judge of the trial chamber assigned to his case,” the United Nations International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Local authorities, residents, and an umbrella organization of genocide survivors associations called Ibuka in Rwanda jointly are exhuming a mass grave believed to contain remains of about 5,000 victims of the 1994 Rwandan genocide in Gatsibo District, eastern Rwanda.
The exhumation of the mass grave recently discovered in the Kiziguro sector according to testimonies of genocide survivors started on Tuesday and could take about three weeks.
The pit, which was reportedly dug in the 1970s for water supply, is estimated to be 30 meters deep
According to Officials the exhumation had been delayed to prepare relatives of the victims.
Remains of the genocide victims continue to be discovered in many parts of Rwanda over two decades after the genocide that killed over one million people, mainly ethnic Tutsis.
Three men suspected of involvement in the 1994 Rwandan genocide were also arrested and charged in Belgium with serious abuse of human rights, the prosecutor’s office said on October 24th.