The International Criminal Court (ICC) Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda has revealed that The Hague-based Court is open to receive new information that may help revive cases against Deputy President William Ruto and journalist Joshua Sang.
Bensouda told Nation, that the crimes against humanity cases against the two were not terminated.
The DP and his co-accused were among six Kenyans who were charged at the ICC with instigating the 2007-2008 Post Election Violence.
However, the court vacated the cases against the duo citing lack of sufficient evidence.
The presiding judges, however, left the door open for possible fresh charges in future if sufficient evidence is tabled, noting that the cases had been hampered by political interference and threats against witnesses.
“The proceedings are declared a mistrial due to a troubling incidence of witness interference and intolerable political meddling,” read part of the ruling.
While President Uhuru Kenyatta, who was also charged at the ICC for similar charges, is against reopening of the PEV cases, Bensouda told the local publication that her office is open to receive new information related to the cases.
The information, she said, can be from the government of Kenya or any individual.
“As you are aware, on April 5, 2016, Trial Chamber V (A) vacated the charges against William Samuel Ruto and Joshua Arap Sang, without prejudice to the Prosecution bringing a new case in the future, or in a different form, in light of new evidence,” she said.
“As a general matter, in accordance with Art. 15 of the Rome Statute – the founding treaty of the ICC – any individual or group from anywhere in the world may send information on alleged crimes to the ICC Prosecutor, who is duty-bound to protect the confidentiality of the information received.
“The office analyses any such materials submitted, as appropriate, in accordance with the Rome Statute and with full independence and impartiality,” Bensouda said in an email to Nation.