The newly formed Democratic Action Party of Kenya associated with Eugene Wamalwa is out to consolidate the Luhya voting bloc. The party has lined up meetings with MCAs, MPs, governors, senators and former political leaders from Bungoma, Busia, Kakamega, Vihiga and Trans Nzoia as a starting point to consolidate Luhya votes into one basket.
Faces behind the party are also reaching out to other seasoned political leaders from other communities. This comes at the backdrop of what political observers aver to be a spirited campaign for the community unity which has been elusive since the demise of former vice president Michael Wamalwa Kijana. In 2018, Eugene and Bungoma Senator Moses Wetangula buried their political differences at an event that took place at Mabanga Farmers Training College in Bungoma.
But the ‘handshake’ did not last long over what the CS handlers term as betrayal and dishonest on the part of Wetangula. Pundits argue that Eugene’s political move to form a new party is being pushed by powerful forces to tame Ford-K’s Wetangula and ANC leader Musalia Mudavadi political move and fear that dissolving their political parties now might be like writing their political obituaries.
Earlier on, supremacy wars pitting Mudavadi and Wetangula supporters on who becomes the leader of the new party and who will be the presidential flag-bearer derailed the merger. In 1997, Eugene supported the late Michael Wamalwa’s his presidential bid while Mudavadi and Wetangula supported the late president Daniel Arap Moi. Come 2013, Eugene supported Mudavadi for his presidential bid while Wetangula supported ODM leader Raila Odinga.
- I am a young Kenyan interested in new media and dissemination of news and information as it unfolds.
- News2022.12.02Rogue Lesedi Developers Ordered To Refund Sh1.5m For Defrauding Client
- News2022.12.02‘Academic Fire’ Leaves Student Seriously Injured in Nyahururu
- News2022.12.01WATCH: Thrilling Performance By Kenyan Acrobats Excites Pope Francis
- News2022.12.01Senator Edwin Sifuna: Why Kenyans Should Not Be Afraid of Defaulting On Hustler Fund Loan