Update 2/4/2020: Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi makes full recovery from coronavirus; Health CS Kagwe says he will now face the law for exposing Kenyans.
Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi and his driver have tested positive of Covid-19. A local daily published that after he failed to quarantine, detectives, arrested him and was forced to quarantine as tests awaiting results yesterday.
The Deputy Governor and his driver are being quarantined at Mbagathi Hospital, Nairobi. The detectives, however, are tracing all the people he came to contact with in the past four days according to a local daily.
Detectives in Kilifi also investigates the offices he went after he failed to quarantine at home. They will also probe the driver where he went and which people he picked.
The Governor was tested in Mombasa but was later taken Mbagathi Hospital after exhibiting the real symptoms of covid-19 as they were waiting for results. His Driver was admitted in Mombasa Coast General hospital with breathing problems but later taken to Mbagathi where both have been alleged to be receiving treatment. They are in stable condition.
Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi becomes the first public servant to contract the virus in Kenya.
This is coming at a time that our leaders are praying. Two new cases had, earlier today, been reported in Kwale, Msambweni.
According to OB number 50/21/03/2020, It was been reported by Mr Kelvin M.O.H Musambweni sub-county hospital mobile number 0724875579 that he was called for an emergency case at Afrikan pearl hotel within Diani map Ref 628628 on two guests namely Legree Divergent Isabella of passport number 19DK12957, age 55yrs and Facetime Patrick Rowland Raul passport number 13AK77739 aged 57 yrs both French national who arrived on 14th March 2020 and expected to depart on 21st March 2020.
They were confirmed positive of corona virus covid 19 today 21st March 2020 at the facility and placed in isolation. The hotel had a total of 9 in-house guests and 36 staff members visited the scene and all staff and guests quarantined at the hotel awaiting medical brief.
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe on Wednesday 18th confirmed three more coronavirus cases, raising the total to 7. CS Kagwe said two of the cases were a couple that traveled from Madrid, Spain on March 4 through Dubai, arriving in Kenya on March 5.
The third case was a Burundian national who traveled from Dubai, UAE to Kenya. He arrived on March 17 and was picked up by a surveillance team, Mr Kagwe said.
“We are tracing persons who may have been in contact with the patients,” he said.
He noted that all cases so far are imported. The tests were done by the National Influenza Centre and the Kenya Medical Research Institute (Kemri).
“Any Kenyan traveling into the country must sign a legal form to assure the government that you will self-quarantine. Washing hands and social distancing is the key reason why Chinese cases are coming down,” he said.
Business as (Un)usual
Quick Bus says they have registered a 40 percent increase in bookings this month, with Mombasa, Meru, Kisumu, Busia, and Kakamega leading.
The company’s Director of Growth Jefferson Aluda told Kenyan Bulletin that part of their travelers are those fleeing the city for up-countries which they consider safer. The travelers also include students, who have been heading home after the government ordered the closure of schools to combat spreading the coronavirus pandemic.
“The numbers keep on coming even as fears over the disease escalates,” Aluda told Kenyan Bulletin on phone.
Apart from closing schools, the government also suspended all public gatherings and urged workers in the public and private sectors to work from home.
Meanwhile, the government has introduced more precautionary measures as the country enters the second week since the first case of coronavirus was reported. This includes restricting operational time for entertainment joints which will now open at 5 pm and close at 7.30 pm effective on Monday next week.
Such facilities, Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said must also define the maximum number of people at any given time, so that the requirement of 1.5 meters self-distancing requirement is met.
Renowned Economist David Ndii has given his suggestions in winning the war against coronavirus that appears to be a practical and great way to save the poor masses from the elitist Jubilee plans.
“Allow people to go to rural areas!”. is the rallying cry of the top 100 most influential economists in the world.
The government of Kenya (GoK) has been warning poor people against travel not taking into account that they can’t survive in Nairobi even for a week without going to work as they live hand to mouth.