The Office of Prince Charles, the eldest son, and heir to Queen Elizabeth II, has confirmed that the Prince has tested positive for the novel Chinese virus.
“Prince Charles is showing mild symptoms of Covid-19 but–otherwise remains in good health,” his office said Wednesday adding that the 71-year-old and his wife Camilla – who does not have Covid-19 – are currently self-isolating in Scotland, Clarence House said.
“He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual. The Duchess of Cornwall (Camilla) has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with government and medical advice, the prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland,” Clarence House said in a statement, using his official title.
The couple was tested by the state-run National Health Service in Aberdeenshire in north-east Scotland. And the House did not rather were unaware of the possible COVID-19 positive contact the Prince met.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks,” it added.
Is Queen Elizabeth Exposed?
Britain had as of yesterday reported 1,452 new cases of coronavirus and 43 new deaths which makes a total of 9,529 cases and 465 deaths. Clarence House said doctors believe Prince Charles became contagious on March 13 — a day after last meeting his mother.
Queen Elizabeth II, 93, and her husband Prince Philip, 98, retired to Windsor Castle, outside London, on March 19. They brought forward their Easter break by a week because of the coronavirus outbreak. The 93-year-old queen has been staying with her 98-year-old husband Prince Philip at Windsor Castle, 820 kilometers south of Balmoral, since March 19.
Given their age and Prince Philip’s stay in hospital at Christmas which makes them more vulnerable– the Prince’s diagnosis prompted questions about their potential exposure to the virus.
“Her Majesty the Queen remains in good health. The Queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly after the investiture on the morning of March 12, and is following all the appropriate advice with regards to her welfare.” Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said.
She would not say whether the queen had been tested for coronavirus when contacted by AFP.
Kenyan Bulletin has also learned that On Feb. 11, Prince Charles and William visited injured members of the armed forces at Leicestershire’s military rehab facility. The father-and-son duo appeared playful and even shared a video of Charles pushing William in a wheelchair to set up shooting from that position.
On Thursday 12th March, Queen Elizabeth received a service medal from the Order of Saint John, a royal society with a humanitarian aid mission.
Though she had worn gloves for a previous investiture ceremony and had refrained from handshaking on Commonwealth Day, for this event, she opted not to wear gloves when she shook the hand of the order’s head.
It was a slightly defiant move for the monarch on the day the World Health Organization declared Covid-19 to be an official pandemic.
On Friday 13th March, however, Buckingham Palace announced that the queen would be canceling her public events for the next few weeks. At 93, the queen is at high risk for the virus.
“As a sensible precaution and for practical reasons in the current circumstances, changes are being made to The Queen’s diary commitments in the coming weeks. In consultation with the Medical Household and Government, Her Majesty’s forthcoming visits to Cheshire and Camden will be rescheduled. Audiences will continue as usual. Other events will be reviewed on an ongoing basis in line with the appropriate advice,” read a statement from the palace.
“Owing to the unfolding situation with the coronavirus pandemic, the British Government has asked Their Royal Highnesses to postpone their spring tour to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jordan,” a statement from Clarence House read.
Other royal families around Europe absorbed the message a little more readily. Earlier this month, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden canceled a dinner they were throwing for 150 guests as soon as the virus began to circulate in the country. Within days, a case was identified at the school of their granddaughter Princess Estelle, though she was not affected.
Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg also canceled a series of public events after early cases emerged in the country. The Danish royal family has also canceled their official events, and on Thursday, they announced that the four children of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary would return early from a study abroad program.