A 34-year-old mother and her 3-month-old baby have been electrocuted at Bowa matopeni village in Kwale. She was carrying her son when she passed near a power line that had dropped.
Residents of Bowa claim that the powel fell weeks ago but it has not been switched off despite complaints that it is posing a serious danger to the residents of the area.
The line was fell by heavy rains that were pounding the area weeks ago. The rains left the ground loose and KPLC has been called to look into the matter. They also protested that several other poles are in varying stages of rot and posing a serious threat to locals at risk.
Mwinyi Mwasera the Waa Ng’Ombeni ward MCA who spoke to the incident said that efforts by the residents to have Kenya power and lighting company address the default have been ignored.
Mwasera is now demand that Kenya officers should bear responsibility of the accident and resign. The bodies of the two are lying at the Kwale Funeral home awaiting autopsy.
Human Rights Activist Mwinyi Haji said they have taken up the issue as they promised to take regional managers to court over negligence.