Former Board Chair of Kenya Medical Supplies Authority (KEMSA) Mr Kembi Gitura is afraid of the new direction by MPs to have those involved in the KEMSA -Covid-19 donations scandal probed further.
“If it’s a true genuine committee doing its work, they should have stopped at saying ‘we’re not able to verify the truth or otherwise of this allegation so recommend further investigations.’ But they cannot say that I be investigated with a view to being charged because they do not know what the outcome of that investigation would be,” said Gitura.
KEMSA Beneficiaries: Meet the man who pocketed Sh1 billion Covid-19 funds at KEMSA
Last week, the National Assembly’s Public Investment Committee released a report on the COVID-19 billionaires scandal, asking EACC to investigate Gitura alongside Joel Gesuka Onsare, who sat in the KEMSA board, on the award of commitment letters to Wallabis Ventures Limited, Villa Surgical Supplies and Equipment Limited.
A preliminary probe by EACC revealed that KEMSA officials flouted procurement procedures by direct sourcing, as companies with less than six months in operation easily clinched tenders without credible financial records being presented.
Nothing has been heard of the case since the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) recommended further probe to the first files presented by the EACC.
The KEMSA scandal probe appeared cold until MPs spoke again.
KEMSA board is now headed by Mary Chao Mwadime.
Kembi Gitura’s loot
Our research shows that Kembi Gitura owns Absa Chemicals Limited which was paid Sh21 million in the KEMSA Emergency Procurement for COVID-19.
Kenyanbulletin.com has learnt that this is not the only payment that the former Murang’a senator received in the looting of KEMSA.
Sources say that a company known as Racking System Warehousing was contracted by KEMSA at a fee of Sh959 million. The firm is associated with Chege Gitura, a brother to the board chairman.
There are other firms namely Antarc Healthcare and Armick Limited, also associated with the Gitura, were paid Sh7.4 million and Sh 28.6 million respectively.
Here, Kenyan Bulletin wrote more on the scandal in its heydays
- KEMSA Beneficiaries: Even as DPP received files from EACC exposing Sh7.8 billion scandal, here are those that stole Sh4.5 billion
- KEMSA Beneficiaries: Why Senator Sakaja, Gideon Moi, Sabina Chege and Speaker Lusaka are silent on Covid19 Scandal
- Politics2023.03.14Ruto surrounds himself with the worst from Luo Nyanza
- News2023.02.01“Steve Ogolla, Lawyer who was conned Sh500k was looking for cheap publicity,” Azimio supporters say of Chebukati’s demand letter to Raila Odinga
- Business2023.01.31Bliss Healthcare appoints Dr. Denis Ogolla the New Chief Operating Officer
- News2023.01.30Njeri Thorne Baby daddy Joseph Sitati sacked by KenGen