A newborn is nursing serious injuries at the Kenyatta national hospital (KNH) after sustaining burns in a warmer machine at Queens and Kings Hospital in Siakago, Embu County.
Last week, we had published a story detailing how Kenyans are suffering at the hands of quack Doctors and other medical practitioners.
Samir Nyaga, the newborn baby boy was transferred to Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) for specialised treatment.
While the management vowed to investigate if the incubator malfunctioned or there was personnel negligence, Dennis Murimi, the father of the baby said they suspect negligence on the part of hospital staff.
“Our quality control team is investigating the matter to find out if there was personnel negligence or just a machine failure,” hospital administrator Moses Njue said as quoted by the Standard.
Denis Murimi, the father said he found the newborn burned when he went to the hospital to visit his 20-year-old wife Regina Wambura who was recuperating at the private health facility.
“The baby was left at the machine for long period unattended leading to the burns,” he said.
While confirming that the hospital will take care of the medical expenses, Njue apologised to the family.
Here is what Rukia Wanjiru, who is reported to be the aunt to the newborn posted on Facebook.
Hello Family. I’m trying to sleep, but I’m not able, I’ve a disturbing issue which I feel you’re in a position to assist. My nephew’s wife, Regina Nyambura went to Queen’s & King’s Hospital (Siakago), Embu County on Friday to deliver which she did at 2a.m on Sunday to a bouncing baby boy at 3.2kgs. But was in distress due to fatigue & so he didn’t cry immediately after birth. So, they went to resuscitate him & was placed on a heater and was put on Oxygen. Apparently, about 30 mins later the Mom heard the baby make unrest sounds & on going to check, he was burning on the side he was sleeping on (right hand side) The 20year old Mom grabbed the baby and went to call the Doctors which were not at the doctor’s station. upon enquiring from the patients who were sleeping on the benches in the waiting area, she was shown the room where the nurses on duty were sleeping & after banging the door for some time, they woke up. Below are the disturbing photos of the baby as of today evening when I went to visit him.
Kindly, help me reach the necessary authority to follow up on the matter. The baby is in so much pain & is just crying. People, this is pure negligence..please help my nephew’s baby get help/ Justice. Thanks in advance,